These Baked Tomatoes make for a healthy side dish when you’re pressed for time. An extra bonus?–they’re made mostly from ingredients you probably already have in your pantry!
Yield: 2 servings
Time: 20 minutes
2 large beefsteak tomatoes
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (for drizzling)
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (for filling)
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
¼ cup Panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
¼ cup freshly grated Asiago cheese
2 tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh parsley
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. onion powder
4 slices of deli ham, diced
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Lightly grease a baking dish and set aside.
- Carve out the stem of the tomato, partially hollowing out the inside of the tomato. Drizzle ½ tbsp. of olive oil inside the cavity of each tomato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the following ingredients: 1 tbsp. olive oil, breadcrumbs, Panko, Asiago, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, and ham.
- Fill the tomatoes with the breadcrumb/cheese mixture and place in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake at 425ºF for 10-15 minutes, until heated through and golden brown.