Flank Steak Salad with Chipotle Lime Vinaigrette
Yield: 4 servings
Time: 25 minutes active, 50 minutes total
For the flank steak:
2 tbsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chipotle chile powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
1½ to 2 lb. flank steak
For the Chipotle Lime Vinaigrette:
1/3 cup lime juice (fresh squeezed is ideal but bottled works too!)
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup canola oil
1½ tbsp. adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce) –could substitute with 1 tsp. of chipotle chili powder, if needed
½ tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. garlic powder
For the salad:
8 cups mixed greens
¾ cup fresh blackberries
2 avocados, diced
24 grape tomatoes, halved
3 ears of corn, cooked and cut off the cob
- Zest the lime, then slice the zested lime in half.
- Mix together the lime zest, chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, chipotle chile powder, salt and pepper.
- Squeeze the lime over both surfaces of the steak. Sprinkle half of the spice mixture onto the top of the steak, rubbing it into the meat. Repeat with the remaining spice mixture on the underside of the steak. Let stand at room temperature for 15-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vinaigrette: Combine the lime juice, adobo sauce, cumin, and garlic powder. Whisk together, and slowly drizzle in the oils. Mix thoroughly.
- Grill the steak over medium high until well browned and the center registers 130ºF with a meat thermometer* (about 4-8 minutes per side, depending upon the thickness of the cut of steak). Transfer to a cutting board and allow to rest at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing. Thinly slice against the grain. (Note: flank steak is a fairly tough cut of meat. Slicing it against the grain maximizes its tenderness.)
- Prepare the salads: Toss together the mixed greens, blackberries, avocados, tomatoes, corn, and prepared vinaigrette. Split between four plates. Top each salad with sliced flank steak.
* When measuring the temperature of cooked meat, always insert the thermometer into the meat sideways, away from any bones. This ensures an accurate reading.
Recipe Credit: The flank steak recipe was modified from the Chili-Lime Flank Steak recipe that was published in the June 2016 edition of Food Network Magazine.